Vinyl garage doors are one of the most popular garage door materials available. If you're looking for a new garage door, vinyl gives you beauty, convenience and durability all in an attractive and lightweight package. If you're curious about vinyl garage doors, here's what you need to know.
Benefits of Vinyl Garage Doors
Vinyl garage doors are popular because they have so many benefits. Check it out:
- Fade-resistant. They have a UV-protection coating that prevents the finish from fading. These doors last as long as vinyl siding, which is known to last for decades.
- Scratches are difficult to see. Vinyl is made from a product that's the same color all the way through. Though vinyl is not scratch proof, scratches made in the vinyl are very difficult to see.
- Available in many colors. Vinyl is available in a variety of colors, just like vinyl siding.
- Durable. Unlike steel, which will rust over time, vinyl is long-lasting. It doesn't rust, warp or fade. Many vinyl garage doors come with a lifetime warranty.
Disadvantages of Vinyl Garage Doors
Vinyl isn't for everyone. If you're on a budget or if you have particular garage door needs, you might be happier with steel doors, or doors made from another type of material. Below are some disadvantages of vinyl.
- Wood texture lacks realism. Vinyl can be stamped with a texture similar to wood, but it lacks the realism of wood. Homeowners who want real wood doors would be better off getting doors made from authentic wood or wood composite.
- Uninsulated. Vinyl is not an insulating material, however homeowners who want an insulated garage door can purchase an insulated model.
- More expensive than steel. Vinyl is more expensive than doors made of steel. Homeowners on a budget will enjoy steel more than some other materials.
Contact a Reputable Garage Door Contractor
If you're shopping around for a garage door, vinyl maybe the product for you. After all, it's a product preferred by many homeowners in the area. At Overhead Door of Oklahoma City, we're happy to give you a quote and talk to you about the benefits of vinyl. We can also recommend garage doors made of other materials. If vinyl isn't for you, we can discuss the benefits of wood, steel, fiberglass and more. Call today to find out more.