One of the questions that homeowners ask when they're trying to decide if they should repair or replace their garage door is: how long does a garage door last? It's an understandable question! Knowing how long you can expect your garage door to last can help you decide whether it's time to repair your garage door, or install an all-new door.
Expected Service Life Garage Door
You can expect your garage door to last between 15 and 30 years. Unlike garage door openers, which start to break down frequently as they reach the end of their service life, garage doors rarely stop functioning. Instead, they become dented and worn, unfashionable, or just too difficult to maintain.
Want your garage door to last longer? Know what to look for when shopping for a new door.
Factors that Impact Garage Door Longevity
- Quality. High-quality doors last longer. Buy your garage door from a known name in the industry, and do your research before committing to a purchase. Remember the cheapest door is unlikely to be the best quality door.
- Use. Frequent use of your garage door contributes to wear and tear. If you use your garage door often, it will be even more important to buy a good quality door.
- Style. Some styles are timeless, others are not. Trendy garage doors can date your home, which could lead you to replace it faster than you would otherwise.
- Materials. Some materials bend or crack over time, others rust or become corroded. The material your door is made from will affect how long your door will last.
Signs Your Garage Door Needs to be Replaced
Inspect your garage door periodically to look for signs that a replacement is warranted. Signs your garage door needs to be replaced include corrosion, damage from impact, poor fit, or unsightly design. Are you selling your house soon? Garage doors have nearly 100% ROI! Installing a new garage door can improve your home's value, boost curb appeal, and help your home sell more quickly.
How to Make Your Garage Door Last Longer
Once you've installed a new garage door in your home, there are many things you can do to make it last longer.
- Routine maintenance. Some garage doors need to be painted or sealed periodically, others just need occasional cleaning. Keep up with maintenance to keep your door looking its best.
- Tune-ups. Have your garage door and opener serviced by a professional once annually.
- Choose wisely. Buy a garage door with a classic, beautiful design, made from long-lasting materials to extend your garage door's service life.
Install a Quality Garage Door with Overhead Door of Oklahoma City
Garage doors installed by Overhead Door of Oklahoma City are durable and long-lasting. Call today to make an appointment to discuss your upcoming garage door installation.